Sunday 14 June 2015

#MicroblogMondays: Scouring The Universe

God within you wants to know Herself in you.

Sometimes, whilst scourning the Universe looking for an answer to the unanswerable question, "What Is the meaning of life? " I hear something that opens a window, and all sorts of things make sense. I'm not talking about TRUTH mind, as in something fixed, and eternal, no, just a glimpse of a something that makes sense for now. Tomorrow? Who knows? Tomorrow holds the promise of taking care of itself, which might necessarily mean bringing a different truth. There are, as you know as you get older, very few absolutes.

There's the preamble. Here's the Amble:

I have just finished listening to a Dharma Talk (and I WILL write up my visit to Darlene's neighbours, the Buddhist Temple, soon, I promise... ) The teacher today quoted my opening gambit, which bears repeating: God within you, wants to know Himself in you.

When I was in Sunday School way back in 1955, Miss Fleet ( Thin, old, bun, bicycle, lovely... ) told me that God is everywhere. A five year old just nods. Very little is known about the ever-widening world, everything makes complete and wonderful sense, and I just accepted it. Of course I had no idea who God is, and that's perfectly OK, because I've hung around Her skirts for nearly sixty years now, and I still don't. I have learned that this is just fine with God, and also, to be a bit wary of people who tell me they do.

At Baptism, I was taught, God comes and lives in us. Don't know what for, exactly, though I have always hazarded a guess that S/he popped in with the general aim of making me a better person, and good luck to Him/Her: Frankly, I could use the help. However, I am struggling a bit to make sense of this, because if that were the reason, S/he doesn't aopear to be all that great at it. "God, "I might say, with real conviction, "You are pants at making us good."

I am, as I have said before, a reluctant Theist. I believe in a Great Something Other, but have no idea what the GSO is. So, hearing that this pre-existing Entity IS indeed everywhere, but maybe not quite as I expected, is, well, Quite Interesting. Getting to kmow Herself in me , eh? As if I were, as you are, and everything is, an expression of Her (Lord! Give English a gender-free pronoun, that isn't 'IT', PLEASE!) and He experiences who She is through every expression of Himself, which is the entire cosmos, of which I am grateful to be a teeny-weeny part.

As this is really too much for me to take in, I wrote a poem.

I invited God to tea. For If
(And I say IF) we are to become
Lovers
We really ought to get to know one another better
First.

It was a great success.

Though, unused to juggling a cup and a plate on
His lap, God,
Was a little awkward. Just at first -
Shy, even.
But the cake went down well.

And for the rest?
Well:
He left me with a smile and a promise
Of great times ahead -

And an invitation to tea,

For you.

PS

This was first posted in October 2014. It came to my attention today because someone had googled 'Scour The Universe' and, possibly because no-one advertises the process, this Blog appeared in the search results. And I know this because Blogger tells me so... .  I am therefore prompted to re-post this because it makes me smile, and also to challenge myself to concoct OTHER blog titles that beat the 'pay-up-or-disappear' algorithm!

:)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love this: "At Baptism, I was taught, God comes and lives in us. Don't know what for, exactly, though I have always hazarded a guess that S/he popped in with the general aim of making me a better person, and good luck to Him/Her: Frankly, I could use the help. However, I am struggling a bit to make sense of this, because if that were the reason, S/he doesn't aopear to be all that great at it. "God, "I might say, with real conviction, "You are pants at making us good."

    It is such a great point, and one that I haven't considered though I have heard the thought that G-d is inside of us.

    ReplyDelete